Social Icons

Thursday 31 January 2013

@BETT_Show 2013 - Day 2

This is the second of three posts in which I will share my thoughts from BETT 2013. BETT is the world's largest educational technology show and attracts thousands of visitors from all around the world each year. This year BETT was held for the first time at the Excel Arena in London.

Today has been another brilliant day here in London and although I still have tonsillitis, my cough is getting slightly better and I enjoyed today so much more because of that fact!

Yesterday, I promised you two key highlights and one question from each of my three days at BETT 2013. Well today is a different day and I have decided to give with one highlight and one question (just to be different).

Key Highlight: Google Stand (@RoscoMahon)


My first highlight of today came at the very beginning of my day when I sat down to listen to Ross Mahon on the Google stand. Ross who is Global Awareness Manager for Google Apps for Education describes himself as a Google Apps Edu Evangelist. His aim while working at Google is to try and get the world of Education thinking about 100% web and he certainly did that through his presentation.

Beyond just talking about Google, Google Apps and Chromebooks (all of which are very interesting), Ross spoke about great learning! Ross shared examples of inspiring practice with and without Google and the power of working in collaboration. The point that really touched me though concerned the humble Rubik Cub.

Ross explained that the current world record for an adult to successfully solve a Rubik Cube is around six seconds (check out the below for some amazing Rubik Cube action) -



But with technology, can student do even better?



Ross' illustration serves to show yet again that we should never limit our expectation of our pupils, especially when using technology because anything really is possible!

One Question: Why? Why? Why?






As promised, I will end this blog post with my question of the day which has to be -

Is putting all your eggs in one basket with say 1:1 iPads or 1:1 Chromebooks really the way forward? Does one product alone prepare students for the world in which they will have to live, learn and work?

Answers on a postcard or alternatively use the comments section below to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.